Pliobond 5742 Black Lap Sealant
PLIOBOND 5742 BLACK LAP SEALANT
DATA & TESTING
Viscosity @ 10rpm
|Pounds per Gallon||8.227|
|Flash Point, SETA||54 degrees F|
|Estimated Coverage||200 lin. ft/gal|
|Application Temperature||40oF (4.4oC) to 90oF (32.2oC)|
|Service Temperature||-65oF (18.3oC) t 212oF (100oC)|
PRODUCT OVERVIEW & FEATURES
Pliobond™ 5742 Black Lap Sealant is a one-part, elastomeric sealant designed for sealing the exposed edge of field fabricated membrane laps.
• Extended open time
• Excellent resistance to heat and moisture
• Excellent resistance to ozone and UV light
• Adheres well to EPDM sheeting, metals, wood, and concrete
• Easily extruded throughout application temperature range Pliobond 5742 Black Lap Sealant is recommended for sealing EPDM against the effects of weathering.
Pliobond 5742 Black Lap Sealant should be applied at temperatures of 40˚F (4.4˚C) or above. Applying the sealant at temperatures below 40˚F (4.4˚C) will extend drying times and potentially cause condensation of water on the sealant bead producing lower ultimate bond strengths. If Pliobond 5742 Black Lap Sealant is stored below 40˚ F (4.4˚C), store the sealant at room temperature 72˚F (22.2˚C) for at least three days before using.
1. Allow sufficient time (two hours minimum) for any residual solvent to escape from the completed splice or flashing detail.
2. Remove all dust and other foreign material from the EPDM membrane including the splice, coverstrip or flashing detail. Using a cleaner for best results, carefully remove all residual splice adhesive which extends beyond the splice area
3. Apply a 3/8” to 1/4” bead of Pliobond 5742 Black Lap Sealant along the exposed edge of the completed splice.
4. Using the pre-formed plastic tool or manufacturer’s caulk tip, feather the edges of the Pliobond Black Lap Sealant bead to span the splice edge by 1/4” on each side. Exercise caution not to feather the caulk profile to less than 1/8” at the center of the bead. Feathering must be performed immediately after the Pliobond Black Lap Sealant is applied.
PPliobond 5742 Black Lap Sealant contains ingredients which could be harmful if mishandled. Contact with skin and eyes should be avoided, and necessary protective equipment and clothing should be worn. All five gallon pails and larger metal containers should be grounded and/or bonded when material is transferred. Vapors are heavier than air and may travel along the ground or may be moved by ventilation and ignited by pilot lights, other flames, sparks, heaters, smoking, electric motors, static
discharge, or other ignition sources at locations distant from material handling point. Never use welding or cutting torch on or near drum (even empty) because product (even residue) can ignite explosively. Ashland Chemical Company maintains Material Safety Data Sheets on all of its products.
Material Safety Data
Sheets contain health and safety information for your development of appropriate product handling procedures to protect your employees and customers. Ashland Chemical Company Material Safety Data Sheets should be read and understood by all of your supervisory personnel and employees before using Ashland Chemical products in your facilities.
When Pliobond 5742 Black Lap Sealant is stored indoors, out of direct sunlight, and in the original, unopened container between 60˚F (15.5˚C) and 80˚F (26.6˚C), the shelf life is twelve months. Always rotate stock.
Dispose of empty containers, application tools and any product waste in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations.